Friday 12 April 2019

A New Responsibility: Kiddies and Cosplayers

The geeky generations are starting to have kids. As contrary as that sounds, they are. This is the generation of parents who are going to know that you can't pause an online game and will dress their little one in a Chewbacca onesie. This inevitability means that more kids end up at our conventions in cute little costumes and means that there may be a young Padawan underfoot from time to time.

Here's what people seem to miss; with the little ones around, cosplayers have a new responsibility in costume. I'm not just talking about not accidentally smucking them with your armour, but what happens when you cosplay a well-known character. Just about anything Disney, DC, Marvel, Star Wars, Pokemon, etc etc etc are all well-known to little geeks.

The expectation is that YOU ARE THE REAL THING.

That's right. Just like how they (spoiler) still believe in Santa Claus, they truly believe that you are a hero from a Land Far, Far, Away. They believe that you have come from your icy kingdom to visit them, or that your hair glows when you sing.

I once read a story on Tumblr that another cosplayer had posted that actually distressed me a bit. The cosplayer said that she had been eating in a food court (sans costume) after a con let out. She saw a group of teenagers nearby, one of which was dressed as Elsa. A little girl with her mother was strolling through, and upon seeing Elsa, she got excited. She ran over to talk to Elsa. The girl in the costume rolled her eyes, and walked away with a look of annoyance, leaving the little girl alone, upset, and very confused. Yes, that pang that you feel in your chest is the same one in mine.

When I started in as a Disney princess cosplayer, I kind of ultimately knew that there would be kids who would want photos and talk to me. Before my first con as Rapunzel, I made some rules for myself, which you are all welcome to use.



RULE 1
Always Stay in Character
Watch the movie or television show a million times in order to pick up some characteristics that your character has. Things like catch phrases, how they move, what their back story is, or their voice can help you stay in character. Usually, my voice ends up a bit higher pitched than usual and my posture gets better. Try your hardest not to break this or break the fourth wall.

RULE 2
Make Up Some Clever Responses
Even the Princesses at the Disney Parks have set responses to common questions that come up from kids. Be as creative as you can. As Rapunzel, a little boy asked me how my hair got so long. "Well, I was stuck in a tower for eighteen years...". I got a good giggle. Even as Cinderella, a little girl asked me where my dress came from. I told her that my fairy godmother was very talented. As Rey, a little boy warned me that Kylo Ren was nearby and that he was evil. I told him very seriously that I understood and not to worry as I had my trusted lightsaber and believed in The Force. They don't usually ask probing questions, but clever responses are a good way to go.

RULE 3
Wait For Them To Approach You
This is a courtesy rule, especially for the parents. Kids can be very shy, and parents are wary. If you catch eyes with a little one, give them a smile and a wave. Sometimes they will come towards you or point you out to a parent. Other times, they will hide behind their parents' or guardians' pant leg. If they come up to you or their adult encourages them to come over, that is your moment to engage. WAIT FOR THIS. If you go running towards the poor kid, you may freak them out. When they approach, get down to their level. Usually this means ending up on your knees, but it's important that the kid can look you in the face. It's a comfort thing. If they or their parent ask for a photo, take one. WAIT FOR THEM TO ASK. DO NOT OFFER. It is important that the parent has control of the situation. It's also a great idea to have a buffer animal/prop with you. I had many a kid give my Pascal plushie a big hug if they were nervous. I even had kids giggle when I made BB-8 turn his head to look at them! It diffuses tension very easily.

RULE 4
Try Not to De-Cosplay Around Kids
I have changed in bathroom stalls, around dark corners, in the backs of vehicles, behind curtains that well-meaning friends had to hold up, and in side rooms. Kids having the opportunity to see you take off your wig or pull random things from your costume is a big ruining moment to the image. Even Disney Face Characters have tunnels under the Parks so they don't walk through domains where they don't belong; you'll never see Aurora and Snow White hanging out. No one sees Santa without the beard, so resist the urge to itch under your wig until you are safe out of their line of sight.

RULE 5
Be Kind and Courteous
As "DUH" as this sounds, this means being polite while you're around them, not swearing, using basic manners and human decency, and being a role model. They see you as their idol, and you need to act like it.

HEARTBREAKING BONUS
Sometimes kids will be comfortable enough to give you a hug. This can be a big deal. If (in character or out) a child hugs you, never be the first one to let go. You never know how much that little one needs it. Only let go after they do.


I recognize that this isn't a thing for everyone. Cosplay is about being whatever character you want and having fun. However, with kids around, you do need to realize that you have a responsibility to the kids, whether you want it or not.

Remember, with great petticoats, comes great responsibility.


No comments:

Post a Comment