Monday 8 April 2019

Con Plans 2019/2020

Most geeky kids have those staple conventions they always head to every year without fail. I'm no different; I don't really have a "home" con, but I make my way around to a variety of different Canadian conventions. Here are the plans for this year!


G-Anime
January 18-20, 2019

Gatineau, Quebec

Technically this convention has already happened, so it's more of an honourable mention rather than a plan.

G-Anime is a yearly winter convention that I have been attending since 2011 and was actually my first ever convention! I have made it a bit of a pilgrimage every year so that I can participate in its wonderful masquerade. Though small, it does scratch quite the itch during the wintertime when cosplayers don't get up to much. The masquerade and its competitors always exceed my expectations, and I get a chance to hang out with some local friends and re-connect with my community.


Ottawa ComicCon
May 10-12, 2019
Ottawa, Ontario

This year, I get to host a panel with AnnieChie Designs! No date attached yet, but excited nonetheless! Our panel will be called Magic of the Stage: Performance in Cosplay. If you are in the vicinity, please come see us and share in some of the surprises that cosplay performances can bring. I look forward to seeing everyone!

No masquerade for me, but I might be spending some time in the green room with AnnieChie's Yona of the Dawn group as their own personal Den Auntie, so I get to at least somewhat participate.


Anime North
May 24-26, 2019
Toronto, Ontario

Hello, Internationally-ranked Masquerade! Anime North's Masquerade is always the biggest draw for me to attend this convention every year. I also get to stretch my legs, get out of the city, and see friends who I usually don't get a chance to visit. It's a bit of a slog to get down there, but who doesn't love a good road trip?

The Flower Card is coming out for this convention and I have quite the wonderful trick up it's flowery sleeve! Be prepared for jingly bells and a lot of bouncing around. I've already been told by three people that they'll murder me over how much noise my little bells are going to make every time I move. It's gonna be stellar.


YetiCon
June 13-17, 2019
Blue Mountain Resort, Ontario

Literally Resort Con. I started going to YetiCon last year and was amazed by how open and freeing it is to be there. I get my share of Toronto and Montreal friends, we spend a sunny, warm weekend with each other, I liaise with an insane amount of photographers, make new friends, and get to spend arguably the best weekend of my life with those I love.

YetiCon is another con that feels like a slog to get up to, but the location makes everything worth it in the end. It is a stunning locale for photos and a beautiful place for some peace and quiet.


Otakuthon
August 16-18, 2019
Montreal, Quebec

I get a bit of a breath before I walk straight into another Masquerade at the always enviable Otakuthon. I started attending a few years back after some prodding from friends and fell in love. Always a great chance to reconnect with Montreal friends and an overall well run convention. We are discussing running a panel there too, so I may get to contribute to some of the content!

Looks like a chance to participate in a group Masquerade entry with AnnieChie Designs, Tsuki no Stardust, and MaeGwyn Cosplay with our Tsubasa outfits! MaeGwyn will jingle more than I did in Flower, and we get to have some obnoxious teen romance photos. Always a pleasure!


KatsuCon
February 13-17, 2020
National Harbour, Maryland

What's this? A new convention? I've been dreaming of going to KatsuCon for a very long time. Every February is met with significant sighing whenever I see everyone's beautiful photos and costumes in the glowing white hallways of the Gaylord lobby.

Well, ArcticWerewolf and I decided that this would be the year we would stop sighing and take possibly our one and only crack at attending. We will hopefully have a few other people with it, but honestly, it's a 10 hour trip south through into the United States. This will also be my first con in the US, making it truly a milestone! I'll get to see everyone's glorious costumes up close and you'll watch me silently cry myself into a fangirl stupor when I get to see my cosplay idols in person.


Are you going to be attending the same cons? Will I see you there? Make sure to say hey if you are!

If not, are there cons that you love to attend every year or ones you think I should check out? List them below!

No comments:

Post a Comment